Friday, March 19, 2010

Want to know why I'm doing this?

As many of you know my Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 Head, Neck, & Throat Cancer over 5 years ago. The diagnosis was life altering to say the least. The tumor in her neck had grown to 2 inches by 6 inches and was wrapped all around her muscles and veins. They took her in for surgery days after they realized the extent of her Cancer. When they opened up her neck they realized just how bad it was. The tumor had wrapped around major muscles and veins in her neck and her surgeon had a big chore on his hand. This quick surgery turned into an almost 5hr surgery. They had to remove muscles because they couldn't get around it. She had to lose one of her jugular veins because the tumor was surrounding it. I'll never forget the way my Mom looked when they wheeled her back into her room. I've never seen so much blood or staples. I took one look at her and almost fainted. No one should ever have to see a loved one look like that. No one should have to go through a surgery like that caused by this evil disease. At that moment I vowed to fight against Cancer!

Ever since then I've done my best to raise money for Cancer whenever I can. Participating in this walk was presented to me this year and I decided I needed to do it. It is going to be both physically and mentally exhausting to be part of this walk. I know I will shed many tears throughout these 60 miles, but I know it's something I need to do. There are so many people who don't survive their Cancer diagnosis and I feel blessed to still have my Mom in my life! I am a VERY lucky girl! I need to fight for those who weren't as lucky as me and hope these fundraising efforts help those who follow behind me!

One person is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes in the United States. That's why I'm walking - to do something bold about breast cancer. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me - by supporting me in my fundraising efforts!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment